Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Portugal

I love Portugal! It was such a great experience probably exactly what I needed at the moment. The people are very kind, the food delightful and the scenery breathtakingly spectacular. Our time of ministry definitely exceeded expectations. Not that we were expecting it to go poorly, but it went even better than hoped. All of the schools were great and the kids so receptive to the message.
In the second week we didn't do traditional schools ministry because the children were on break, so we worked with churches, in an orphanage and in a prison. The prison was with out a doubt one of our biggest challenges and also one of our highlights. No one on our team really has a testimony of being saved from drugs, alcohol or a hard life. So when we found out we were speaking at an all women prison all of us were kind of thinking, what are we going to say to people that have for sure experienced a rougher life than we have? Well that is where God stepped in, big time! Kate and I encouraged the interns and said that these women were people too and needed to hear love, truth and an uplifting word. It ended up we did a drama and the three of us girls spoke. All three of us spoke about forgiving others, forgiving ourselves and the hope God gives us no matter what we've done. There was not a dry eye in that place. I believe those women with out a doubt needed to hear those words and hearts began to change. My heart has not broken for people like that in a while so I know it was just as important for me to be there. Please pray for those women, they received the Book of Hope, pray that their hearts and lives would be transformed by the Word of God. Thank you to all that prayed for our trip! I have posted some pictures on my Flickr site of Portugal, soon I'll be posting some from England as well. Here is the address:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mindytheworldtraveler/sets/72157617091070022/

No comments: